A word from Tam Andersen, Owner - about our plans to welcome guests back to Prairie Gardens.
We are thrilled to welcome you back to the farm this summer, fall and winter, or indeed welcome you for the very first time, to Prairie Gardens!
We know that, more than ever, you want to spend time with your family and friends, eating delicious food and enjoying each other’s company in uniquely special surroundings. We have put a great deal of thought into how to offer you a truly unique experience here at Prairie Gardens. We also take our responsibility for your well-being extremely seriously. Luckily one thing we are blessed with here is SPACE. We have almost 25 acres here on the farm, and we have been meticulously planning our re-opening to make the most of it.
Giant U-Pick Pumpkin Patch opens in September! We have added a huge new 15 acre pumpkin patch, with over 50 varieities of cool pumpkins, and are offering woodfired pizza nights, campfire cookouts, or farm picnics to enjoy at a private picnic site, either basking in the sun, or sheltering the in the shade, so you can enjoy our wonderful food while taking in the truly glorious view of our rustic rural farm countryside.
And we have created a selection of fantastic new programs with a range of offerings, all of which can be enjoyed in the open air. Join us for a private alfresco farm to table dinner, or a u-pick farm tour to gain an appreciation of local farm food!
All of these new programs are leisurely affairs allowing you plenty of time to explore the farm with guided learning, including our new farm animal private animal encounter, which are limited to only one family at a time, gardening U-pick adventures, or heritage chicken educational tours around the farm.
We have wet weather covered too, with carefully distanced spaces amongst the trees, greenhouses and pavilions and various covered areas to keep you comfortable and cozy should the weather take a turn for the worse. Having said that, our region has experienced the deepest drought since 1961 this summer, so corn mazes are not as tall as usual. Heat loving crops like the pumpkins & pickling cucumbers have grown exceptionally well! Also new this season, we are partnering with Family Kompany Theatre Troupe to provide the Pumpkin Patch Harvest Fun program.
As always, we are thrilled to be working with our community of friends and neighbours in the growing community, to bring you the very best local in local food and experiences, to enjoy alongside what we are growing here on the farm.
We hope to see you here very soon for an unforgettable Prairie Gardens experience.
Wishing you all the very best,
Farmer and Owner – Tam Andersen
Safety Measures and Guidelines
We have put some adjustments in place for the health and safety of our staff, visitors, and animals. These modifications are designed to comply with public health orders and guidelines.
Before You Visit
- Please do not visit the farm:
- If you have travelled within the last 14 days
- If you have been in contact with anyone sick with COVID-19 within the last 14 days
- If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms. These include: fever, cough, shortness of breath, runny nose, sore throat, and/or others listed on Alberta Health Services website.
- Please Pre-Book your Family Farm Picnic, Woodfired Pizza Night, or Campfire Cookout so that we are expecting you!
- Pets (including dogs) are not allowed on the farm. It is too hot to leave them in your vehicle, so please leave them at home!
At the Farm: Safety, Amenity, and Service Availability
- Garden Centre shopping for Prairie hardy trees, shrubs and perennials will be open Tuesday through Sunday
- Masks are optional indoors
- Outdoor areas and gardens of the farm will be open on a guided or selfguided basis
- New! Farm Animal Discovery Pass - with Private Family Petting Farm experiences are offered to reduce close quarters intermingling of families.
- Farm animals and heritage chickens are available for viewing and feeding beyond the animal enclosures with General Admission.
- The Trackless Train Ride, Gem Mine, and Farm Mazes are Open.
- Notable closures: The haunted house is scheduled to open in September.
- The Country Store shop will be open on one-way movement basis
- There will be no paper maps or programs available
- The Farm Market is open from 11am-5pm every weekend.
- Pre-order online: you can pre-order vegetables like Pickling Cucumbers or Pumpkins for pick-up
- Hand sanitation will be available at our entrance, exit, and throughout the farm
- Portable bathrooms will be cleanly regularily
- No outside food is permitted on the farm, with the exception of water bottles and baby food. All Farm Picnics must be pre-booked 3 days in advance.
- Our Corn and Sunflower mazes are open this season.
- New! Giant Pumpkin Patch opens early this season Sept 11 for U-Pick Pumpkins in the field location 1 km north of Prairie Gardens.
At the Farm: U-Pick Vegetables
- U-Pick will be on a guided basis only
- U-pick guests - please sanitize your hands before and after entering the field at stations provided.
- U-Pick families with children are welcome, provided children are supervised (1 adult:3 children)
- New buckets will be provided – no containers from home will be allowed
- Food service includes the Farm Concession with RGE RD Butchery Buffalo Dogs, Dilly Garlic Potatoes and Farm Salads.
- No outside food is allowed with the exception of water in bottles or baby food
- Water fill stations will not be available
- Washrooms will be open and cleaned regularly
- Increased hand sanitizer stations will be available, including at the entrance, exit, and throughout the farm
Please follow all guidelines for physical distancing. This may result in wait times at points of entry and of service during peak visitation.