Welcome to our award-winning farm with a Winter Wonderland Adventure at Prairie Gardens. Join “Farmer Tam”, a woman pioneering small scale Canadian food production, as you plunge into her community of winter farming and sustainable eco-tourism! Your adventure begins with a short “Polar Express” trackless train ride to the bonfires – crackling for an all Canadian Campfire Cookout. Guests learn the lost art of sippin’ local moonshine, while they get hands-on to cook their own “Smokie” sausage on a stick over the open fire and taste succulent fire-roasted appetizers featuring in-season farm winter vegetables and bannock bread, a First Nations staple. For dessert pull Maple Syrup taffy from the sparkling snow. Get creative and make a winter wildlife bird feeder to help feed our winter birds and squirrels.
Then it’s an adventure around the farm – outdoors – strap on snow shoes, or try pond curling, get a selfie with a farm goat; then warm up in indoors on a behind-the-scenes tour of a sustainable year round micro greens greenhouse production at this small scale local farm, where you’ll.discover sweet edible flowers, spicy greens, and herbs. Become a hands-on herbalist with a make n’ take herb infused salt rub project. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to experience a winter wonderland, or view the winter night skies on a authentic Canadian working farm, close to Bon Accord – Canada’s first dark sky community! Minimum 8 people – maximum 60 people.
- Tour an “off the beaten track” authentic working Canadian Farm to learn about year-round sustainable and natural food production practices.
- Immerse yourself into our community of award-winning culinary experiences with “Long Table Stories” gathered over 60 years of farming in northern Canada.
- 1-3 hour flexible program, plus a unique Campfire Cookout featuring local protein and vegetables, grown on the farm.
- Sample local legally made Moonshine, distilled from the mash of Canadian wheat.
- Hands On Herbalist – Take home an herb infused smoked salt rub that you made yourself.
- Year Round and Weather Proof. Delight in the sunset under the stars, winter activities like snow shoeing, pond curling, snow angels, hayrides and bonfires.
- Learn about the rigors of greenhouse growing food in a northern climate, and how farmers adapt to growing food in the winter.in cozy warm greenhouses bursting with the produce we grow.
- Paired with hot chocolate and marshmallows to roast, hot farm tea or bottle water.
- Winter sky viewing if on evening program.
- Winter Warmer Souvenir Package: Canadiana Socks or Gloves with Toque ($39 per person – retail)
WE LOVE TO CUSTOMIZE – ASK US!
- Winter Wonderland & Starry Nights Experience
January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm